Elijah Hartberg

Stoughton's Elijah Hartberg during the Vikings' loss to Oregon Tuesday, Sept. 7, at Stoughton High School. Hartberg scored Stoughton's only goal in a 5-1 loss to Milton on Thursday, Sept. 30. 

Milton scored a couple early goals en route to a 5-1 win over Stoughton in a Badger East boys soccer game Thursday, Sept. 30, at Stoughton High School.

Stoughton committed 12 offsides penalties, but found a way to earn a 1-1 tie against Monroe in a nonconference game Tuesday, Sept. 28, at Stoughton High School.

Milton 5, Stoughton 1

The Red Hawks grabbed an early 2-0 lead off defensive errors from the Vikings and never looked back.

Stoughton sophomore Elijah Hartberg was moved to striker for the game and was able to score in the 30th minute off a ball from junior Charlie Mehring.

“We felt good at halftime even though we were down 2-1,” Stoughton head coach Justin Packard said. “We thought we could keep the pressure on them by continuing our successful passing through the midfield.”

However, a few more defensive breakdowns in the second allowed the Red Hawks to add goals in the 46th and 50th minutes.

Sophomore Noah Tiede and junior Adam Bauer played well in the loss for Stoughton, according to Packard.

Stoughton 1, Monroe 1

Monroe got an early goal in the first half when the Cheesemaker’s top-goal scorer Luis Torres was left open at the top of the box and scored from distance. The goal was assisted by John Reinders.

“We would have had many more chances in the first half, were it not for nine offside penalties on us,” Packard said. “We knew the way to beat Monroe was to try and play balls behind their back line, but we just couldn't get the timing of our runs down, and the lost opportunities crippled us the whole first half.”

The Vikings trimmed their nine offsides penalties in the first half to three in the second and broke through when freshman Max Packard found the back of the net. Hartberg set up the score.

Packard ran unopposed to the keeper and booted a shot into the lower left of the goal to deadlock the game at 1-1.

The last 20 minutes was largely spent with Monroe defending, according to Packard. Stoughton had the game-winning goal by sophomore Colby Thompson, but it was negated due to an offsides call.

“The boys kept digging but just couldn't find a way through,” Packard said.

Freshman Ashton Clausen, sophomore Jonathan Hull and freshman Aiden Klawitter all had standout games, according to Packard. Stoughton finished with 20 shots to Monroe’s 10.

“While we didn't get the result we were looking for, the future of Stoughton soccer was on display, and it is really encouraging to see what this team will become in the next couple years,” Packard said.

Recommended for you